Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Engineering Marvels

I'm not a huge fan of spiders... They generally creep me out. But they are talented engineers. And I love seeing their webs...

Was shown the web I tried to photograph here and she was working on construction at the time.









Couldn't help but stand there and watch in fascination as she went round and round.



The basic construction was done yesterday and it is strung at face height between two pieces of farm machinery on 6 foot long suspension cables that I can't begin to imagine how she managed to stretch the first of across that grand canyonesque gap... You can see her as the whitish dot in the upper right showing up against the tin of the wall.






Watched her filling in the fine details of the web one row at a time. She'd touch her bum down and you could see the silk string coming out which she would guide with her hind legs into the next place where she would attach it by dabbing her bum down again.

There were three other amazing webs inside the forage wagon that the lighting was just all wrong to get photos of but I will try again later to see if I can capture them.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment